About Me

My photo
I am a college student at Huntington University studying animation. I like puppies and fun.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Key Mage, the Comic Series?!?!

    So I had a big epiphany type thingie. In two parts.  All thanks to the wonderful artists we get to talk to in my Inspirational Design Class.  Let me explain: One of the artists, Stephen McCranie, talked to us and he said something to the effect of, "A lot of people are imitating the Japanese manga style because it's so popular.  One of the reasons Scott Pilgrim was successful was because he understood how to pace his work like a Japanese manga but he kept his style uniquely his own."  This got me thinking: My gigantic big huge idea for an anime someday, which I'm calling Keymage, has been brewing in my mind and has undergone some monumental (at least for me) shifts in perspective, what the story was about, etc.  But the art style I had been drawing all of the people in was manga-ish.  Perhaps I should try drawing them more cartoonie, I thought to myself.  I did some sketches, loved what was coming out, and made this.  This represents a paradigm shift in terms of style for this story I've been working on, and i'm excited.  I'm even thinking of doing my drawing-a-day's about Keymage from here on out, with breaks for Fridays and if I feel like doing other stuff, but mostly this.
  
    You see, I need to start doing these drawings because I am planning on creating a graphic novel version of this story.  This is going to be a big undertaking for me, so I'll start small and use what advice I was given through another artist named Doug TenApel (which we only saw on video, we didn't talk to him like Stephen McCranie).  He said he would have the beggining middle and end for his story on notecards, then make beginning middle and ends for each of those notecards, and then he would do it once more.  this was exactly what I needed to hear to start off this project, so I'm going to be doing that.  I'll have something of a rough plot-point outline down, and once I have that, I will  try and think of important images to sum up each one of the notecards, which I will then post.  neat huh?
Well, that was a lot more writting then I thought it would be! But yeah I can't help it because I'm so stoked to start craking on this! wish me luck!
And the drawing was just me playing with really hard blocky shadows.  The guy on the right is the main character, Amirr.

tldr;I'm going to be working on a comic idea I've been thinking of for a long long time.

Love

Benjamin

0 comments:

Post a Comment